Friday, November 13, 2015

Last time as a FoD volunteer??

It makes me really, really sad to write the words 'last time'. And there are so many of those already - and many more to come before we finally leave China! Just 2 days ago, on what normally is a very happy time of the year for me, on Diwali night - I got very emotional because this Laxmipuja was the last puja I would have in this house. Crazy? Maybe a little - but isn't that part of saying goodbye, part of starting to let go - recognizing and cherishing these 'last times'??

Anyway, today was probably the last time that I was in school as a FoD volunteer. This year, our school is hosting the U15 Fobisia games, and like with all sporting events, FoD has a stall to sell drinks and healthy (ahem!) snacks to the kids and the visiting parents. I've lost count how many times in the past 2 years I've done this - in all kinds of weather, for all kinds of tournaments - I have to say that I've always enjoyed these selling stints!! And today, I'm done - no more hauling Gatorade and water bottles, soda cans, bags of chips, and the ever popular gummy hamburgers! No more cash boxes, petty cash - no more exasperation when a customer hands over a 100 rmb note to buy a 5 rmb soda!! Oh, I'm going to miss this so much!!

Of course, selling drinks and chips is not all what FoD is about - and although there have been plenty of ups and downs, there has never been a dull moment in the 18 months or so that I have been on the FoD Executive Committee. I've really enjoyed being the Secretary - and I would like to take a moment to point out that there is a world of difference between being the Secretary of an organization and a secretary as in a personal assistant - ok, feels good to set that record straight!! And although it was incredibly stressful, I also enjoyed my very short stint as Treasurer!!

Like all volunteer organizations, FoD has its drawbacks - the cliques, personal whims, strong personalities, even stronger egos - but at the end of the day, what matters is the amount of money that is being raised for charity. The glitzy parties and the spectacular event all go towards supporting a child with need of medical aid or pay for a library in a village school - and that is what makes everything worthwhile, what made working on FoD so fulfilling for me!!

So, this is it - the last day of FoD. Ok, I really don't know how to end this on an upbeat note - so I should stop. Thanks for the memories, all you lovely FoD ladies, and keep up the good work!! I am going to really miss being a part of this team!!




No comments:

Post a Comment